Monday, May 13, 2013

The Lone Ranger

Nothing but time clicking away...23:57:34 as my feet don't fail me now crossing the finish with 75 miles in the 24inAustin event that I spent the greater part of my weekend doing. Didn't need the hope of completing this amount of mileage down to the last few minutes, but if there was anything left  afterwards Boodini couldn't tell it. Earlier at around midnight clearing the 50 mile mark, I decided with 10 hours to go, well within sight of the 75 mark, it was time for a cat nap which at Umstead or Vermont100's, a thirty minute recess can be a good plan if you set an alarm which I did not, another mistake at this event among many without a plan. Two and half hours later, I awake and realize if I don't go find that dog the 75 mark is toast. But really, why stress, relax and let go. I found that forcing myself to run if nothing but a shuffle made walking feel easier and faster, if you've seen my pathetic motion you know what I mean. The race stated at 8am you could start using the inner mile track to rack up as many miles aside from the 5 mile loop before the 10am close, but they changed that and said you had to do the whole loop and the sag wagon would pick you up? Leah asked me what I was going to do, and I said with the time remaining, which wasn't enough time to do the whole loop, I might as well getter going cause there wasn't any choice. At about 9 am off I bust and somehow turn the out and back road loop of 3 mile back to the track at 9:32, now I needed two miles to do the 75, yes no pressure. The rest is history. I decided against my full kitchen setup like I provided for myself at the Bear 48hr. That left me with my Gu and powder mixes for fuel, thinking the race would provide something. Well, they provided water, little else. At six hours into the event, I saw a few bananas and felt like a homeless guy snatching it off, solid food. I eyed pizza boxes off to the side for volunteers and thought about pilfering. I sucked it up because no need for negative thoughts. At about midnight one of the volunteers gave me a slice of pizza, it was heaven. Enough of that side, next time be warned, take care of what you need for yourself. Yes after this I am a Lone Ranger!
It's Monday morning and I am sore... But Boodini wants to run too...off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment