Sunday, June 8, 2014

Rick's Rainbow Bridge

With a hole in the water bottle, and the garmin couldn't find the satellite, so much for the now age of running. The first two miles there was a nice calm rain shower, that smelled nice. Then came Rick's Bridge ( ok so it's called The Boardwalk, just like Towne lake is called Lady Bird Lake, when I was the chef at the Erwin Center I did a luncheon for Lady Bird and Hillary Clinton and 20 of their closest friends, that was enough of my  service for them! Thank you). Back in 1972 running with hippie eyes from the Commander Cody show at Armadillo World Headquarters, among many other shows there, cutting thru Towne lake foot path to get to my West Lynn apt was a straight shot to and from. Then in 1979 my first 10K was the first Capitol 10k which ran from the Capitol footsteps down to Towne lake and did a loop around and then back, there was only 3000 runners. The next year 1980 and 1981 on Towne Lake I did my first and second marathon, the then called Texas Relays Marathon, which featured a card table water stop (that was it, at the time there was probably two water faucets on the path, hydration, what was that?, clueless then, clueless now) at the turn around at Pleasant Valley then back to 1st street, then turn around and do it again. The Austin Marathon didn't start till 1992. Fast Forward to 1999 and I did my first ultra, also on Towne Lake, a 50K called the Easter Seals hosted by Rick Lewis. Then began the MAMA debut. So today's half marathon fun run on yes sir, Towne Lake, was a blast through the past. I will call the board walk Ricks Rainbow Bridge, cause that's what I want to do. It is a cool deal, and see homey, I may be old, but Boodini can appreciate  things.

2 comments: