Sunday, April 15, 2012

Do you think it was a 50K?

Last weekend I completed another 50miler, since the halloween weekend end of Oct. til now, 5months, this would make 3 50M, 1 100K, and two marathons. At Hells's I decided to try two new things. The first being the Hoka Mafates, and the Nathan water vest 020. Out of the box I laced a size 11( normally I wear 11.5, and the sizing reviews recommended this1/2 down size) and was planning to run one of the three 16.65mile loops to see how they ride, ready to change out to another shoe after. Likewise the Nathan pack would take care of water and with pockets I could haul my powder mixes, gu, salt all things neatly in their place. This all worked really well and had a very non irritating loop cause it just fit. I took off on the second loop and didn't change a thing, and actually ran the 50 with both newbies to satisfaction. After, I had a blood blister at the tip of my right foot which makes me wonder if the 11.5 hoka would have been the way to go, nothing like having many sizes of the same shoe around, but it functions well over any terrain. I will have to wear them in to build up my ankles, cause I have rolled them once or twice, and the reviews  mentioned that stuff  happening. Great pair of shoes that actually ride over rocks, flats, and do have a great grip. I would say I think I had less leg soreness afterward as well. The Hoka Bondi B is the road shoe version that I ran the road marathon in and this shoe fits true to my 11.5 size and is real nice for me. I also feel like it is still important to use different shoes, Montrails, Brooks, Asics, what you like, so your foot just doesn't know Hokas, as these shoes are the opposite end of shoe philosophy, that being, cushion vs minimalist.The Nathan pack all I did was pull the bladder they give you and put in a camelback bladder, same size and good to go. Got warm the last loop and lost money in the bank from feeling the funk, so overall though it was good to have a tough finish, cause it is a good lesson in pushing thru and digging to get it done. In a few weeks, throw it all on the line at Massanutten 100M, love that Virginia, and that race rocks! We are blessed to be still able to run.

2 comments:

  1. You've put yourself in a great position to grab buckle # 30 Sir!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said all that junk is on that starting line, leave it there and try like heck to keeper goin....

      Delete