Friday, June 22, 2012

Squaw Valley

In a few hours 386 ultra runners will run thru the Sierras in the great Western States 100. Having received 3 buckles there it reminded me of my stay before and after in Tahoe City, the year Rick and I shared a cabin. It was his first leg of the Grand Slam that I had managed to accomplish two years prior. Two years in a row at 4am I would drive in to the start and both times I would sight a large timber wolf running by my vehicle. So needless to say, as I followed Rick in his car toward the start at the Mtn. edge that year I was wondering where was my Wolf? Just as I thought it, out some thirty yards appears a large brown bear. When we pull up to park I ask Rick if he saw the bear, he said" Oh yes sir, it was standing waving at me as I went by". I thought to myself, what omen was this? It would be a Bear of a day!

2 comments: