Monday, September 29, 2014

Old Dude Doesn't Look Like a Lady

In the morning scanning the void of the car radio, early Willie plays, noted, this was fitting to be on 410 entering the inner sanctum of San Antonio. I make the turn on McCullough Ave. and park, here I am at my living quarters for five years of high school, and first year college at St. Mary's U. St. Anthony's is now a catholic coed high school, when I came here as a 14 year old kid it was a seminary, yes sir, a priest factory of sorts. What we did as fellow brothers in study turned into the most hilarious stint of existence that brings me here today, our 45 reunion. As we stand on the steps of the chapel for a photo, at 63, and maybe this is a norm across the U.S. you won't find too many long runners, the body shapes show it. Sure the grey or lack of hair, wrinkles etc are there but, well let's leave it at that. So much talent in this graduating class of 36 dudes. Two IA class basketball championships, One State Final football championship play, several State speech and drama awards, musical talent, I ran a 4:58 mile for 2nd at the State meet the only year I ran, hell what does a bunch of kids do. Yes we did do that too. We weren't allowed to roam the city, except once a month, for the day only. So we did night stealth runs downtown by bus and foot at night from 6- 9:30 pm to Hemis Fair, and snuck back into the line to night prayer in the chapel, honor system, no snitching. We bunked in a large open dorm and flipped unsuspecting souls in their sleep from their beds. We were loud and made noise. We lived each other's shit. I left St. A's today feeling like a celebrity in my classmates eyes, and they were that to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment