Tuesday, August 28, 2018

The Trail Ahead

When I was a young boy roamin' on the railroad tracks
Put copper pennies on the rail, locomotive come and squash 'em flat
We'd run to fetch 'em back
Summer nights at Gran-ma's house cozy in my bed dreams of far-off places and other lives to be led, swirling in my head
And there's a train in the distance there's a whistle calling, silver moonlight falling
Now I am a grown man turning in my sleep, debts and obligations
Family ties run deep, promises to keep
You can ride that train to the far end of creation, away from everything and everyone you know, you better make friends with your angels and your demons, they will be riding with you wherever you may go, but you have to go
There's a train in the distance, there's a whistle calling,
 autumn leaves will be falling

No comments:

Post a Comment