Friday, May 25, 2012

Go Find

So when I send Boodini into the woods to find "lost victims" in our search and rescue training the command is "Go Find!" Looking out to the motel next to where I'm standing I realize it is the Start and Finish of the Old Dominion memorial 100M, it would be the first 100 of the Slam and I could bag the either Dominion or Vermont requirement by finishing it that Memorial Day weekend before going on to Western States a few weeks later.Years Ago, but did I still reminder the course, so I set out to try. Running down the road through the historical district of Woodstock established in 1752, I know to take a right and within a few miles I'm in the rural country, a Jersey farm, a few ponds with ducks following Mom, and yes this is it! After another winding farm road and a few more miles I hit the crossing of the Shenandoah river, and there is Woodstock Mtn. Up I go remembering the three passes we made over that 25hours it took me to finish the race. Near the top a off road jeep stops and three folks ask if I' ve seen their dog who ran off, no I remark but I will look for it, and finally after a few more switchbacks I crest and soak up the view. I retrace my trail back and down a while I run into Heavy, yes the missing pit/boxer mix, as I call he runs then off into the forest, as I turn down a bit the jeep returns, we set up points high and low to corral him. I head two mile in to no avail, and head down, before the bottom they stop and say Heavy has been found.Now knowing that their dog was found with a lighter feel I wind back by the river off thru the town for a 20miler...Go Find!

No comments:

Post a Comment