Saturday, May 10, 2014

Do I Think I Hear the Fat Lady?

Forty five years ago I began working for the man to buy me stuff. For thirty years, I did everything possible and moved myself up in the culinary world with some very rewarding positions and received  recognition in the Statesman and wining Grand Prize awards in several cooking competitions. In my private living as a teen, till now, many running challenges and awards have come and gone. At the time, I might have felt like a contender, it could have gone to my head, it could have been a good feeling for a while that sense of worthiness. But in the passing of time it all vanishes. Then it can become a feeling of nostalgia, or wish to strive to do it again, that seems normal. But really it's best to just forget about it. Fourteen years ago I made another turn back to construction, remolding and property management for a businessman that I formely ran two of his private food services for UT students. Now as a property maintenance engineer for a very large property management company I was told that the person and myself at our property had won the Stream Cup, a number one within our company. Of 50 managed properties with some 300 employees in the area we took overall kudos for the care of the facility of 10 buildings on a 17 acre campus. We are rated on 80 categories and have a survey from the tenants we serve which tally points of total. Five years when I stepped into the professional side of this, I knew I was surrounded by some very knowledgeable and talented people, actually it was quite intimidating, and I figured it would be a matter of time before I would be replaced. Of course that can happen anytime. From the Bank of America building downtown to Riata, Stonebridge, and many facilities the company touches in these properties with large staffs, here the two of us work with a large plate. So for just today I will relish this, and then move on. We should not feel that today, the next day, when we do this or do that will we be worthy. Nor should we ever think that because we won this or that are we somewhat special above someone else.
But for today alone I know that working made a difference in someones eyes, and then move on for good.

1 comment:

  1. The Grand Salami of Property Maintenance!!! Great job Slamming Sam!!!

    ReplyDelete