Friday, August 8, 2014

Alright Then! I'll Just Go to Hell!

The more I pondered the situation, the more it seemed like the only smart and right thing to do, dump it! I didn't make a list of good versus bad, there was enough bad,lousy weather, freezing cold, thunder storms, it snowed one year the day before, setting up by myself, the mud, the lack of support. What list, it just seemed like another one of my brilliant ideas that end up dragging my few friends out to suffer along side me. It just wasn't fair, and certainly not fitting. So I wrote and sent the email that went to the tune of " I retiring from the race, I' m sick and tired of the vanilla ice cream, badgering sponsors back and forth, hoping runners would sign up and they just trickled in, I just didn't have the energy or the time anymore". Pretty simple, send it, I'm done, it was a lousy stinking race, crappy going round in circles, lousy web page, poor bling. I was sick of "well we're trying to raise money to help misfit poor dogs". I didn't even want to bring up Boodini who has totally destroyed my ultra career, and I could have been a contender. Ha!  Then the reply email came back. " Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, all the hundreds of owners and dogs that have gotten a handle on their lives and can stay together. The Schrodi fund would never have grown so big if it wasn't for our work, but hey we had six good years". As I read this I felt like I was at Angeles Crest or Massanutten, where all the bad had given me likely signs of the DNF card, but I said what the hell let's go as far as we can, and end up finishing. I got on the email and got two pledges from two sponsors, called Kyle and the timing was set. Then I sent the reply email, " so you break my heart, make me cry, and damn we will not end this here and now. The race is on for Dec.6th". Funny how things pass, mainly I guess when it's just me me me things do look bleak in a dark tunnel. But when you look about how just a couple of butt kickings, a little bit of effort, someone, somewhere ends up on the winning end. It's easy to forget, when you ponder just the bad. I guess that's when you just have to learn To Dance in the Rain! It may not be the smart or best thing to do.So alright then! I'll just go to hell!

1 comment: