Monday, August 11, 2014

Deception Abounds

It might have seemed like any other race, no particular cause for anticipation, just a mind set to get started. Colorado Bend is 4660 up/down, in the daylight its a tough rocky, worthy challenge, add running it in the night and it is rugged in the ole west. It is 102 degrees, and running till dark thirty we are around 8 miles, thats when the rocks get real tricky, and there the climb begins to above Gorman Falls. The last five miles bring you to a hill with a steep climb, then down for 3 to finish the first 18+ loop. That wasn't so bad, so get the hell out of the sponges on my feet, fill up my stuff and move out. Back up the same hill and the body has no power, the thoughts are rolling in" how did I run up this 6 hours ago? Making it to the Lemon's aid I grab some soda, and ask about cutoffs, I am good for now, but coming back to finish through here I had 18 minutes to be timed out. I move forward as best as possible for another 5, keeping out the thoughts of reversing course back to the finish again. Now I am only twenty minutes ahead and Joe and crew are breaking down the aid station, I am the last tail on the trail. He tells me to keep moving, he will not give me a ride back. The last thirteen miles repeating the first loop has me passing four people, and the light of a new day crossing the finish, 11:38. The will to relax, forget about being behind the eight ball, and go as far as they will allow me got the beast done. I have been in this spot many times in the past, and it is well earned under the best and worst of circumstances. Three Karl's down, one left, another 37+miles and the summer is officially over. It will not be any walk in the park, and it will hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment