Monday, August 4, 2014

When Is it Ever Enough

 Years ago it was easy to run a multitude of training runs and races with the same model of shoe. It was easy to just order a few extra pair and put them away until needed. Of course once and awhile this or that shoe was a trial and error, but they never made it to show time. Then Boodini came along, everything changed, and for some strange reason so did the shoes. Last year hokas went into overdrive, but they never ever really fit all that great, and the toes took a beating. This weekend I ran around clicking miles in the Altra Torin, nice less expensive, simple shoe. As Mark L called Altra's, "Earth Shoes". You don't remember them because it was back in the 70's, wide toe box, negative drop. So I did some reading and zero drop, and level foot, should equal toe to mid foot strike. Also be prepared for transition time until you get use to them. Some believers have now turned the tune holding them responsible for Plantar and other running issues. That I could see, especially if you were plagued with these before. I previously talked about how I liked the Olympus, I have used them for the first 18 miles of two of the Karl's runs, at which time I switched in to the Hoka Rapa Nui. The Big "O's" become like sponges full of sweat so off they go. Maybe when the weather is cooler it won't be so bad, but regardless I've got them. I will repeat this technique at this weekend Colorado Bend. Somehow I have pissed the run deities off, so now every shoe has it's Trojan horse. Like everything for everyone it is just never enough, one more shoe, one more run, one more beer, one more piece of clothing. Yes that is what I used to think the garage was for, a storage dump. Boy how I have been hearing differently on that subject. When will I decide that enough IS enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment