Monday, December 8, 2014

Seven Times Seven

Yes we're done singing church songs, and done is the word for the 2014 Run Like the Wind. I was shocked to find out it was the highest fund raiser to date with this event for the Schrodi fund. We had a smaller crowd of runners, but having this twice in one calendar year may have pushed the excitment
for this event to the limit. Our sponsorship was up. So where were you? Jeff sacrificed his three day weekend to give his hands and heart to take a huge load off me, and I was not use to having anyone else helping except me. He also tricked Justin and Mark to come out as well. January who volunteered all day was really a gift, her positive and kindly approach sure was inspiring for a group of serious whiskey peddlers. Being an RD of the event it would be necessary to evaluate my performance, and unfortunately I failed miserably. Aside from the smaller decision blunders, fires begin with an ember, and if your job requires putting them out it would make sense when you see those embers it is easier to extinguish them early. The leash rule for dogs at our Dog event is for a reason. After all there are many pet owners who in spite of best intentions are not responsible, if they were, we wouldn't need the Schrodi fund. I failed to react in time until it was a big fire, then when enforcing the rule so late, I become the bad guy. When you have a race you mark the course so no one gets lost, those markers are always taken down when the last runner passes the end run. Well when a volunteer takes a type of marker down two hours before the race is over and you let them know not to do it, I haven't really handled the fire at all for two reasons. When the second time you encounter the same volunteer and they have all the markers in their hand twenty minutes later, it does appear they have their finger extended right in your face saying screw you! When I was 10 my best friend shot me between the eyes with a BB gun, so having best friends for volunteers these things are probably going to happen. After 36 hours of being awake and physically working, mentally it will take a toll. It is best to laugh, and I hope you will too. Because twenty five years from now we'll never know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment