Monday, April 14, 2014

Test Ride

So yesterday I finally got the chance to run in two new shoes. For the first loop of Bull Creek I had the Hoka Rapa Nui which is a narrower fit compared to its cousin the Evo. Using Hoka shoes has been a huge learning curve because for me the sizing seems to be all over the page. Even with the Evo which fit fine I had issues with the toe box grinding away my toes. Nonetheless the Rapa has  a much firmer feel and doesn't project the usual cushy feel that the Bondi or the Evo have. Maybe after a few more uses they will break in and feel more flexible. They are light and have a 5mm drop, and I am not aware what all that means, but I will use that comment for the next pair I tried on the finishing loop. I switched over to the Altra Olympus and immediately my first thought was I am wearing a moccasin. The feel was a definite change, the toe box is wider, I could feel the cushion, the drop was the same 5mm, but they felt far more flexible, and felt broken in with the first push. I really enjoyed the run in these shoes. I have the Lone Peak but haven't run many miles in them, and not in a race because I wasn't confident I was familiar with the zero drop philosophy. Yes both shoes are going to used in races in the future, but I think in this test the Altra won hands down!

No comments:

Post a Comment